Monday, April 6, 2015

General Conference = the Best Weekend EVER

Hey everyone!

Apparently my emails are not long enough, so here we go. I will neglect responding to all the other emails I have so Mom isn't disappointed in this one.

Easter was so great! Thanks for the package Mom! I love General Conference so so much and I felt like I had so many concerns and questions answered. As much as I hate to think about going home, at least now I feel prepared. I swear some of those talks were just for me to know what I need to be focused on when I go home. Like going to the temple! I am so excited to be able to go more frequently. 

We watched conference at the stake center with some of the elders - it's easiest to focus there because no one really goes and there are no kids running around or people talking to distract us.

My companion is the best! She's super funny but really chill. It's a quieter person that I've had my whole mission, but I really like her. We have lots of funny moments, let me tell you about some later! 

The weather is heating up - we get to about 90 every day now. But honestly that's nothing, so within the next few weeks it'll be the mid-90s, and then I escape before it gets bad.

The transfer is definitely flying by...I can't believe it's halfway done! Learning a new place makes it go fast, at least for me, since it seems like there's a million things I need to do or learn and not enough time. 

I learned some sign language because they have a class every Thursday. This way we can try to help the elders in the deaf branch find new investigators!

Tuesday was zone conference, and we went to Sierra Vista for that. Hermana Sutherland and I trained together about using the Book of Mormon to answer doubts and questions, which was nerve-wracking because President was there and 2 zones! But it went well, and I loved the conference. We also got a Tiwi box installed in all the cars - it has a GPS system and it tracks where you go, what time you drive and if you speed or drive aggressively. I guess it's supposed to help reduce damage to mission vehicles. Honestly hasn't changed the way I drive at all, but I know it's helped a lot of missionaries slow down :) 

I spent Wednesday in Saint David with Sis. Charles, and it was so cool! Do you remember Bro. Orton, the one whose wife joined the church like 30 years ago and I asked if we could practice the lessons on him? Yeah he's getting baptized at the end of the month. I was so excited! It was totally inspiration! I got to see him on exchanges too and he talked about how he decided to be baptized. And I will be able to go to his baptism!

Friday I went down to Saint David again, and then ended up with a migraine by the time we got back to Rincon. We worked some, but then I couldn't handle it anymore so I went to bed at like 8:30. I was almost asleep at 9 when I realized I could hear voices and so I got up and the elders had showed up and brought us ice cream, just because! It was perfect, and I'm 99% sure it helped the migraine. Haha also one of the elders (actually it was my district leader, Elder Davies) was like, "Sister Blackford, I heard you were sick so I wanted to give you a hug!" I stared at him for a second and took a couple steps backwards because I was thinking, "Umm...no you won't." Once it was sufficiently awkward he pulls out this little...I don't even know what to call it I'll have to send a picture next week...but a little thing that says "I wanted to give you something special but how in the world do you send a hug?" and he just starts laughing. So now he can say he gave me a hug. Elders are so weird. But since I know Elder Davies is probably going to stalk my blog next week to see what I wrote about him, I should at least tell you that he's actually super awesome and it's fun serving around him :) 

Conference was just incredible, and I can't think of a better way to have spent Easter!

This morning I got to play tennis!! One of the elders (his name is Elder Hepworth, but no as far as we know he's not related to the Hepworths in our ward) is actually pretty good, so for exercise this morning we played tennis. I miss playing so much, and was pretty hyped up for 6am just because I wanted to play. 

We went and toured the Air Force Base today too! Lots and lots of planes. It was pretty cool. But you know me, anything like museums and tours and stuff is totally something I love. Even though I don't know that I'll remember anything I learned a week from now.

It's just nonstop here! We are working hard to build this area and find more people to teach, but for now it's still slow-going. It will get there though, I know it! 

I have no clue if this is any longer than normal, but I tried! Does that count? 

Have a great week!

Hermana Blackford

No comments:

Post a Comment