Monday, August 11, 2014

Should have practiced more.....

Hey y'all!

This was a pretty crazy week here in Deming, mostly because it seemed like one thing after another came up and that kept us busy with things other than teaching lessons. Which is fine because we're here to serve, but puts a little bit of pressure on us this week to basically play catch up.
Saturday we spent a solid 9 hours at the church building, first for a funeral and then a baptism! The funeral was sad but also cool. It was for a recent convert who had really bad cancer and passed away. Only her, her daughter, and one granddaughter have been baptized, and it's cool to see how the gospel had prepared their family - even the ones who aren't members. And her husband came up and told us we are welcome to come visit anytime! Previously he has been friendly but never sat down with us for a lesson, but maybe now things will be different. Anyway, it was cool because you could tell the family was at peace. The service was beautiful, filled with the Spirit and basically the whole branch came out to support the family.

The baptism was pretty busy too - we had to have the little program in the chapel because there were so many people! It was for Miguel, a 15 year old boy who has faithfully attended church, mutual, and seminary for a year and a few weeks ago finally was given permission to be baptized. His family came to the baptism, and his mom to his confirmation. Miguel is basically already a member, so it was such a happy day. He's an incredible young man, and has a super powerful testimony. The elders have been teaching him, but we know him pretty well and I shook his hand afterwards and told him I'll have to give him a hug when I come back and visit after my mission.
Another fun fact...since Hna. Hardy left there is no one in the branch that plays the piano. Which means I played the organ for the funeral (and the piano for a special musical number), the piano for the baptism, and the organ for sacrament meeting (first time ever!). I was so nervous I was sick to my stomach, but it turned out well. Luckily since no one else plays I can just play the organ like a piano and people think I can play it. I can barely play the piano as is, but they're letting me pick the hymns. Turns out Mom was right...I should have kept up with the piano lessons....
Painting...we were painting at a members house. They're...what's the word in English....remodeling? a house. Like fixing it up and stuff. And so we helped put primer down on almost all the inside.
This morning we played some soccer with a few kids from the branch and some of the soccer team (the coach is in our branch)! It's only the second time in my life I've played (not counting like PE in elementary school), but I did okay and even hit it with my head a couple times! When I did they were all like "Yeah Hermana!!!" I kicked the ball a few times, got kicked in the shins a few times, so I guess you could consider it a success. I love that when we suck at sports, people force us to play and then get excited if we do anything right at all.
I got to go be with Hna. Wright for a day again up in Silver City!!! It was so much fun to be with her again - our transfer together was one of my favorites. It helps me realize how much I've learned and how far I've come on my mission - with teaching, Spanish, finding, studying, and all that good stuff. She goes home next week, and I will miss her so much!!
Well that's a wrap for this week.
Love you!
Hermana Blackford

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment