Monday, May 19, 2014

What a Week!

I can't believe it's only been a week since I emailed. SO much has happened it's a little insane.

As for transfers, I have no clue. I can see myself staying or going. I LOVE the Valley so much and have no desire to ever leave, but if it was my time to go that's fine. I guess you'll find out next Tuesday :)

I don't remember if I told you or not, but Elder Nichol wrote up a workout program for us - 4 weeks of building muscle and 2 weeks of cutting. I hope I don't get transferred so I can still go to the gym and finish it!! Today was day 1...and I'm already sore. In his words, "Week 1 will be hard, week 2 will be hard, and then it will get better." Also we were told to use Elder Nichol's name in vain a few times. Haha it's a tough workout. His comp called it "The Biggest Loser for skinny people."

Today's activities were planned by us!! Woot woot! One companionship of elders requested we teach a tortilla-making class (which is supposed to start in 20 minutes) and I found out Elder Nelson likes to play tennis, so you can imagine what I'll be doing the rest of the day :)

I'll finish with the hike last p-day (because both Mom and Grandma asked about it and it's the craziest story). Before I begin, let me just say this place was even MORE legit than we thought it would be and no doubt I'm coming back to hike around and explore more after my mission. It's basically a HUGE rock that's full of caves and stuff that we were climbing around and exploring. All was well and we had so much fun. Then we saw a smaller entrance that went about 20 or so feet down and opened into a huge cave. A couple of the elders and Adam, a YSA guy with us, climbed down and hollered that there was another way out so we could all come down and climb through. I went down next, got most of the way down and then the last 8-10 feet were a little tricky. They guided me part of the way down, but on almost the last step (I was probably like 4ish feet up) my hands slipped and I fell because...well frankly because I'm too short and couldn't reach the next place. Thank goodness they were right behind me because basically I fell on Adam and the two elders quickly grabbed me and just set me down. A few scrapes, but I was fine. A couple more sisters came down, and they just jumped the last few feet instead of attempting what I did since obviously it didn't work. When Sis. Allred came down, she landed wrong and the 6 of us that were down there heard the sickest snap I've ever heard. I'd never heard a bone crack before, but now I sure have. Instantly we all knew it was broken, and we stood there for a second before we sprung into action. We knew there was 0 chance of her walking out. Adam climbed back out to call search and rescue, and the elders gave her a blessing. She was calm and fine the whole time, and after the blessing felt no pain...actually she felt no pain for several days. (This is one of the stories that can't really be told until I get home, but just know this easily will have been one of the top 5 most spiritual moments of my mission while we were down in the hole). It was just Hna Lundquist and me, Sis. Allred and Sis. Pearson, and Elder Nelson and Elder Nichol down there. Once the blessing was done, the elders set to work on a splint, made from rope, sticks, and Elder Nelson's pant leg (as in his denim shorts were now 1/2 daisy dukes and 1/2 knee length...haha we all were laughing so hard). We stayed and talked with Sis. Allred, who was laughing, chatting, and telling stories. Needless to say the 6 of us that were down there are all now really close. Anyway, search and rescue came, hoisted her 60ft up and out of the hole - luckily there was an opening directly above where she had fallen. Then they ziplined her down the mountain, we drove her to the hospital and got x-rays. She's going to heal up fine (she had surgery on Friday) and won't even have to go home from her mission.  So all week (since she's on bed rest) we've been doing exchanges with the sisters, trying to juggle our area and help them out for a few hours. The members in their wards have been doing lots of splits, so they're doing awesome. Talk about an adventure though!

I wish I could explain the miracles surrounding the accident, but that would take hours. Since the moment it happened, all of us have seen the most incredible miracles and the 6 of us that were down there have talked to each other and just been in awe of how we were really blessed. Even Sis. Allred from the moment it happened said she had the most overwhelming feeling that it needed to happen. It was one of those times when we all saw how powerful the priesthood is. I've never been so grateful to worthy priesthood holders as I have on my mission. The priesthood power is REAL. It is literally the power to act in His name. Anyone who was with us that day can't deny the Spirit that was felt and can bear testimony that we were guided to know what to say and what to do. I know that Heavenly Father has His plan, but that He loves us and will help us understand why we have to go through hard things if we sincerely ask. There is always a reason!

Love,
Hermana Blackford

 

No comments:

Post a Comment